Here's my new Ohio Star quilt square chair.
Here's how it started. It may have been a curbside rescue. If I was the sort of person to pick up other people's trash. Which apparently I am.
One of the spokes holding the legs together was missing, so I bought a dowel that was the same diameter.
I chopped the dowel down to size.
Then I glued all the pieces together and let them dry.
Once the chair was stable, I sanded it down with my little Mouse sander.
My original plan was to stain the chair.
But then I changed course and decided to paint it instead. With chalk paint. Which will stick to anything. So I could have totally skipped the sanding step.
I painted the whole chair with the black chalk paint.
Here's what it looked like once I had the first coat on. It doesn't look bad from a distance, but it needed a second coat. But first, I wanted to put the Ohio star design on the chair seat.
The chair seat was 14ish inches deep ...
... and 16ish inches wide.
With the seat being wider in the front than in the back, I decided the easiest way to center a square on it was with my tried-and-true eyeball-it-and-hope-for-the-best method. So I cut a 12-inch-by-12-inch pattern out of newspaper and just kept moving it around until it looked more or less centered.
I traced around the pattern with a white colored pencil.
Then I measured and marked every 3 inches and used a straight edge to connect the dots...
... which left me with a 4x4 grid pattern that was more-or-less centered on the chair seat.
Using a straight edge again, I drew diagonal lines from corner to corner in the squares.
Here's the final grid pattern with the diagonal lines added.
To idiot-proof the painting process, I wrote a "W" on every triangle that I wanted to paint white.
Next I cracked open the white paint jar. The paint had separated so the top looked like an oily mess.
A little bit of stirring with a popsicle stick made it nice and creamy again.
I pulled my paintbrushes out of storage ...
... and started filling in the triangles.
It was looking pretty good.
When I was done, I stepped back to admire my work. Hmmm. Apparently my plan wasn't as idiot-proof as I'd initially thought.
Fortunately the paint was still wet when I realized my mistake, so I just wiped it off with a wet paper towel and tried again.
Then I erased all of my white lines ...
... and gave everything (black and white) a second coat of paint.
I did a little hand sanding with some fine grit sandpaper to distress the edges.
I had some antique wax leftover from a previous project that I used to finish the chair.
I applied the wax with a soft cloth, and wiped off the excess.
After the wax dried, I buffed the chair with a clean cloth.
Here is the finished piece. Proving once again the old adage that one man's trash is another man's Ohio star quilt block chair.